A Structured Multimedia Authoring system consists of two stages:
- The Construction of the structure of presentation.
- Assignment of detailed timing constraints
A successful structured authoring system must provide the following capabilities for navigation though the structure of the presentation.
- Ability to view the complete structure.
- Maintain a hierarchy of objects.
- Capability to zoom down to any specified component.
- View specific components in part or from start to finish.
- Provide a running status of percentage full of the designated length of the presentation.
- Clearly show the timing relations between the various components.
- Ability to address all multimedia types, including text, image, audio, video and frame based digital images.
The author must ensure that there is a good fit within each object hierarchy level. The navigation design of authoring system should allow the author to view the overall structure while examining a specific object segment more closely. The design of the views must show relevant information for a specific view.